Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Tudo Azul

02-Apr

"Tudo azul" is a Portuguese phrase used to express that "it's all good" or "everything is peachy".  It also has a literal translation of "all blue".  Tudo azul is a motto we use today as we take on the last two legs of travel to Santa Catarina.
We arrive first to the tiny airport on the island of Florianopolis, the capitol of Santa Catarina.  During our layover we enjoyed Panquecas Artesanais which are similar to crepes.  Mine was stuffed with pumpkin, eggplant, onion, carrot, and honey.  A delicious taste of Brazilian food.
While we're on the topic of food, I should mention that on our flight from Miami to Sao Paulo we were offered the soda most enjoyed by Brazilians, called Guarana.  It is made from beans of the same named plant which contain caffeine (a good travel aid!).  Flying over the Amazon reminded me that we will be fortunate to encounter other plant-based foods particular to this region of the world only.
 With full bellies, we hop aboard our last flight and land in Chapeco in less than an hour.  We are greeted by Rotarians Darci and Fabio, as well as a lovely girl named Thilly, who works with Darci and is the only one of the three who speaks English.  We are immediately shown the warmth of the Brazilian culture as we exchange one kiss on the cheek and a big hug.  Our program begins with a drive through the scenic mountains to the town of Concordia.  

9 comments:

  1. Hello everyone! It's me Thilly. Are you enjoying the journey in Santa Catarina? I hope so. I like your Blog. See you guys in Foz do Iguacu! YeY! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bom dia! We are enjoying every moment of our time here. See you at the end of the month! (glad to see how to spell your name!)

      Delete
  2. Ola

    Thilly it was a pleasure meeting you, Darci, and Fabio. Don't forget you're supposed to send me a list of some Brazilian musicians

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, olá! =)I don't forgotten. Some important Brazilian singers are: Tom Jobim, Elis Regina, Djavan, Hermeto Pascoal, Milton Nascimento, Chico Buarque, Caetano Veloso, Gilberto Gil ... these are some of the most important names in Brazilian popular music .. and some very good musicians Gauchos are: Vitor Ramil, Gilberto Monteiro and Luiz Marenco. You can search on 'youtube' there is many videos of them. Watch and tell me what you think =) .. Are you learned how to dance samba? hehe .. you can not return to the USA without knowing samba .. see you guys

    ReplyDelete
  4. And it was nice to meet you guys too =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bon tarde Thilly-

    Muitio Obrigado for sending me the list of Brazilian singers. I will make sure to check them out and perhaps let you know my thoughts when we get back to Chapeco. Speaking of which, are you traveling with us to Igazu Falls or meeting us back at Chapeco to hang out one last time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bom dia!

      Hello Cris! I'll wait for your opinion then =). I will travel with you to Foz do Iguaçú. It will be great for me because I've never been there before! So we hang out there in Foz. See you there ^ ^

      ps: I'm seeing that you are already learning Portuguese! Glad to know ...

      Delete
  6. Hey Cris, I had forgotten these two great names of Brazilian music: "Luiz Melodia" and "Seu Jorge" .. I just love them .. are authentic in their songs, which are typical Brazilian .. please listen to their songs ..
    see this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsIPEvBMzks
    This one is very very cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8Xz8HXmqsk

    hope you liked! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Thilly.... I was able to check out the two youtube clips that you sent and they were amazing. I´m looking forward to talking more about Brazilian music.

    ReplyDelete